The Office for Product Safety and Standards (” the Office”) was created in January 2018 by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), and takes forward the work of the previous Regulatory Delivery directorate.
Responsibilities of the Office include:
• Giving detailed advice on the interpretation of safety related regulations and sits on many standards making committees.
• Responding to incidents where the safety of a consumer product is called into question.
• Offering policy advice to HMG on product safety issues.
• Enforcement of a wide range of other product standards and regulations, including WEEE, RoHS, Ivory and Conflict Mineral regulations.
• Support of businesses through an expanded “Primary Authority” scheme to act as a single point of information for a wide variety of regulations impacting business.
• The work of the former national Measurement Organisation is also within the Office, which brings a world class test and measurement capability.
This project is part of the BEIS Office for Product Safety and Standards National Capacity development for product safety enforcement. We currently have no capacity for online enforcement and whilst we develop this, we will be procuring an external organisation to deliver this capacity on a call off contract for a period of 24 months.